1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 GENUKI-NFK]
Besthorpe tower mill and smockmill, Bunwell Road postmill and Mill Lane postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Besthorpe archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Besthorpe Parish Council
More on Besthorpe [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Besthorpe

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 245.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

Besthorpe is a parish and scattered village, 1 mile north-east from Attleborough station, in the Southern division of the county, Wayland union, Shropham hundred, Attleborough county court district, rural deanery of Rockland, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints, a handsome cruciform flint building, in the Early English style, was restored in 1861: it consists of chancel, nave, and lofty square tower containing 5 bells; and has been improved by the insertion of a stained east window: there is a fine white marble monument to members of the Drury family. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a vicarage, yearly value, 250, in the gift of the Earl of Winterton and held since 1880 by the Rev. Edward Utten Browne. Besthorpe Hall, a red brick building, erected in 1590, was originally the seat of Sir William Drury, whose crest is still over the east front of the hall; about 1720 it became the property of the Earl of Winterton, in whose possession it remained until four years ago, but it is now the property and residence of Richard Bryant esq.: the house underwent considerable repairs in 1881. There is a fuel allotment of 15 acres, let at 22 yearly. — Preston esq. is lord of the manor, but the land is generally freehold, in the occupation of the owners. Richard Bryant esq. is the principal landowner. The soil is clay; subsoil, clay. The area is 2,164 acres; rateable value, 5,116; the population in 1881 was 488.


SUB POST OFFICE (William Nelson, receiver), for receipt & dispatch of letters on week days only fom 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Letters through Attleborough, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office

National School, to hold 80, average attendance 60; Miss Emma Cowles, mistress

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, February 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 GENUKI-NFK]
Besthorpe tower mill and smockmill, Bunwell Road postmill and Mill Lane postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Besthorpe archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Besthorpe Parish Council
More on Besthorpe [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page