1891 Census Names Index
Shropham hundred
Wayland union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 GENUKI-NFK]
Besthorpe tower mill and smockmill, Bunwell Road postmill and Mill Lane postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Besthorpe archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Besthorpe Parish Council
More on Besthorpe [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Besthorpe

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, p. 824

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2001]

BESTHORPE, 1 mile E. of Attleborough, is a parish with 134 scattered houses, 614 souls, and 2,132 acres of land, chiefly the property of the Earl of Winterton, the lord of the manor, impropriator of the rectorial tithes, and patron of the vicarage, valued in the King's book at £5 6s. 10½d., and now enjoyed by the Hon. and Rev. A. A. Turnour, who has 28½ acres of glebe. The tithes are commuted for £255 to the vicar, and a like sum to the impropriator. The Church, a cruciform edifice, dedicated to All Saints, with a lofty tower and five bells, contains a beautiful marble monument to Sir C. Drury, Knt. The vicarage house is a neat modern erection, occupied by the curate, the Rev. E. W. Dowell, B.A. The Fuel Allotment, 15a. 1r. 23p., is let for £17 6s. The Church Land, 4a. 3r. 16p., is let for £10 10s.

DIRECTORY

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2001; links updated February 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
Shropham hundred
Wayland union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Besthorpe tower mill and smockmill, Bunwell Road postmill and Mill Lane postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Besthorpe archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Besthorpe Parish Council
More on Besthorpe [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page