BEXWELL parish, 1¼ mile E. of Downham, has 15 houses, 87 souls, and 1,014 acres of land, the property of Sir Thos. Hare, Bart., E. R. Pratt, Esq.,and Mrs. Doyle. The Church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a round tower with octagonal top. The discharged rectory, valued in the King's book at £7 11s. 8d., and in 1831 at £380, is in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich, and incumbency of the Rev. Edw. J. Howman, who has 40 acres of glebe. The poor land is 6 acres. The farm house is at the present unoccupied.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, February 2001.; links updated May 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Index of Marriages (1725-1812) [Alan Gresley]
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Ryston Archeology (including Bexwell) [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Bexwell [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page