BILLINGFORD, 6 miles W. by S. of Reepham, a village and parish on the east side of the vale of the Wensum, has 73 houses, 371 souls, and 1,797 acres of land, belonging mostly to the Earl of Leicester, Chas. Loftus, and Julius Jas. Lovick, Esqrs. ; the former, and Chas. B. Lombe, Esq., are joint lords of the manor. The Church [St.Peter], dedicated to All Saints, has an octangular tower ; and the living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's book at £7 10s., in the patronage of the Earl of Leicester ; and enjoyed by the Rev. Chas. Jno. Dashwood, M.A., who has 27a. 2r. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £365 10s. awarded in 1840, in lieu of tithes. Beck Hall, which gives name to a large farm, extending into the parishes of Bylaugh and Foxley, stands on the site of an hospital for poor travellers, founded by Wm. de Beck, at an early period. High House, which gives name to another farm, was built about thirty years ago, on the site of a tumulus, in which were found a Roman urn and a variety of fossils. The poor have the benefit of the fuel allotment, 50a. awarded under an act of 46th Geo. III. The herbage is let for £26 a-year ; and they have also the interest of £5 left by Mr. Ruggs.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, March 2001; links updated January 2011.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Billingford postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Billingford Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Billingford [GENUKI-NFK]
and see Billingford near Diss
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page