[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C.("Paddy") Apling]
BILLINGFORD, otherwise PYRLESTON (near Diss) is a parish and stragging village, on the north side of the Waveney, on the borders of Suffolk, 3 miles east from Diss station, in the Southern section of the county, Earsham hundred, Depwade union, Harleston county court district rural deanery of Redenhall, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Leonard is a very ancient building in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nav and low tower containing 1 bell : the whole fabric was restored in 1881. The register dates rom the year 1649, The living is a rectory, with that of Little Thorpe annexed, joint yearly value £350, including 80 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of George Holt William esq. of Redgrave, Suffolk, and held since 1978 by the Rev. Robert White B.A. King;s College, London. There is a charity of £2 yearly value for bread. G. H. Wilson esq. who is lord of the manor, and he Rev. Edmond Hollond are the principal landowners. The soil is light and heavy land, mixed; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley and rootsm in usual proportions. The ara is 1,820 acres; rateable value, £1,414; the population in 1881 was 194.
Letters through Scole, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office
The children attend the school in Scole.
Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, December 2010.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, White's 1864 and White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Billingford post mill and tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Billingford mill [Norfolk Windmills Trust]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Billingford [GENUKI-NFK]
and see Billingford near Dereham