Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Earsham hundred
Depwade union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845, White's 1864 and White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Billingford post mill and tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Billingford mill [Norfolk Windmills Trust]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Billingford [GENUKI-NFK]
and see Billingford near Dereham

Norfolk - Billingford (near Diss)

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, p. 377

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, September 2002.

BILLINGFORD or Pyrleston, a parish and village 4 miles E. of Diss, contains 45 houses, 221 souls, and 1,000 acres of land, mostly belonging to the executors of the late George St. Vincent Wilson, Esq., the lords of the manor and patrons of the rectory, valued in the King's book at £9. The Rev. Augustus Cooper, B.A., is the incumbent. There are 26a. of glebe, and the tithes are commuted for £296 10s. per annum. The Church, dedicated to St. Leonard, had formerly a square tower. Thomas Havers, Esq., has a farm of 96a in this parish. In the time of Henry III., here was an Hospital with 13 beds for travellers, founded by William Beck. The poor have £2 a year out of the hall farm, left by an unknown donor, and 5s. a year, left by the Rev. J. Bryers, in 1717.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, September 2002; links updated November 2009.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Earsham hundred
Depwade union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1864/a> [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Billingford post mill and tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Billingford mill [Norfolk Windmills Trust]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Billingford [GENUKI-NFK]