1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Billingford Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Billingford postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Billingford [GENUKI-NFK]
and see Billingford near Diss
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Billingford (near Dereham)

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 246.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

BILLINGFORD (near East Dereham) is a village and parish, 1 mile east from Elmham station, and 6 miles north from East Dereham, and occupies the east side of the vale of the Wensum, in the Northern division of the county, Eynsford hundred, Mitford and Launditch union, East Dereham county court district, rural deanery of Sparham, archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Peter is a flint building, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel,, nave, aisles, and an octagonal tower containing 1 bell. The register dates from the year 1813. The living is a rectory, yearly value 360 with 18 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Earl of Leicester and held since 1850 by the Rev Chares John Dashwood M.A. of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here. The fuel allotment of 50 acres is let for 40 yearly. High House is built on the side of a barrow, in which a Roman urn ws founnd. Beck Hall was anciently a hospital, founded by William de Beck. The Earl of Leicester is lord of the manor and principal landowner, The soil is loam and clay; subsoil, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots. The area is 1,820 acres; rateable value, 2,385; the populaton in 1881 was 318.


POST OFFICE—Jonathan Ulph, receiver. Letters through East Dereham, arrive at 8.15 a.m.; dispatched at 5.45 p/m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Elmham

Parish school, erected in 1875 at a cost of about 200, to hold 65 chidren, average attendance 58, supported by voluntary rate; Miss Mary Ann Brumstead, mistress

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Billingford Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Billingford postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Billingford [GENUKI-NFK]
and see Billingford near Diss
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page