BILLOCKBY is a parish, 4 miles south-west from Marsham station, and 6 from Ormsby station on the Eastern and Midlands railway, 14 north-east from Norwich and 8½ north-west from Yarmouth, in the Northern division of the county, incorporated hundreds and union of East and West Flegg, and Great Yarmouth county court district, rurl deanery of Flegg and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is in a ruinous condition, and covered with ivy: divine service is conducted in the chancel, which has been restored. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is rectory, tithes commuted for £147 10s. in the gift of and held by the Rev, Charles John Lucas M.A.of Magdalene College, Cambridge, who is also rector of Burgh St. Margaret, where he resides. The poor's allotment of 4 acres produces about £14 yearly, which is distributed in coals and money. The principal landowner is Daniel Spurrell esq. of Bessingham, who is lord of the manor, The soil is mixedl subsoil, sand and clay. The chief crops are the usual cereals. The area is 389 acres; rateable value, £810; the population in 1881 was 66.
Letters through Yarmouth. Acle is the nearest money order & telegraph office
Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, March, 2009; minor correction and links updated December 2009; \nd ;omks again updated December 2013.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Fleggburgh (& Billockby) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Billockby [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page