1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Bintree Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Bintry watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Bintry [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish Information on Bintree [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Bintry

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 248.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

BINTRY (or BINTREE) is a parish 4 miles north-east from Elmham station on the Dereham branch of the Great Eastern railway, and 8 south-east from Fakenham, in the Northern division of the county, Eynsford hundred, Mitford and Launditch union, East Dereham county court district, rural deanery of Sparham, archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Swithin is an ancient flint structure in the Perpendicular style, of about the fifteenth century, consisting of chancel, nave and aisle and transept with a square tower containing 3 bells: the stone font is in excellent condition: the chancel was rebuilt in 1806 and the whole church re-paved and re-seated in 1865; the east window is stained (subject Crucifixion of Our Lord), to the memory of Lady James Townshend; that in the transept is also stained, as a memorial to Lord J. Townshend and Captain Henderson. The register dates from the year 1609. The living is a rectory, consolidated with that of Themelthorpe, joint yearly value 585 gross, with residence, in the gift of Lord Hastings and held since 1871 by the Rev. Robert Reeve Rackham B.A. of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. There is a place of worship for the Primitive Methodists. In the parish are three charitable trusts:—1st, The Church Trust, for the repair of the church and things concened with the same; 2nd, the Fuel Trust, to be given in coals to the settled inhabitants holding less than 5 per annum; 3rd. The Poor Houses Trust: this trust at present is in abeyance, and some of its land lost or unable to be identified, but the houses are still occupied by 3 indigent families. The parish is chiefly the property of Lord Hastings, Thomas Stone, esq. Mr. Richard Johnson and the Earl of Leicester; the latter is lord of the manor of Hastings and Bintree, which was purchased by Lord Chief Justice Coke in 1608, in consideration of 625. There is also another manor in this parish, styled Bintry, belonging to Christ's College, Cambridge, The soil is mixed, light and sandy; subsoil, sandy and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and hay. The area is 1.455 acres; rateable value, 2,447; and the population in 1881 was 399.


POST OFFICE—Mrs. Elizabeth Thrower, receiver. Letters through East Dereham arrive at 7 a.m.; dispatched at 7.45 p.m.; sundays, at 10.20 a.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Fakenham

School, built in 1879, at a cost of 400, to hold 70 children; average attendance 57, supported by a voluntary rate; Richard Cornell, master

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Bintree Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Bintry watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Bintry [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish Information on Bintree [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page