BINTREE, or Bintry, 6 miles W. by N. of Reepham, has in its parish 85 houses, 410 souls, and 1,414 acres of land, mostly belonging to Lady J. Townshend (who has a neat residence here, called Yarrow House), Lord Hastings, T. Robson, Esq., and the Earl of Leicester ; the latter is lord of the manor. The Church is dedicated to St Swithin, and the chancel was rebuilt in 1806. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £10, has 13a. 3r. of glebe; and the yearly rent of £413 12s. 4d., awarded in 1844 in lieu of tithes. It is united with that of Themelthorpe, (£135 per annum and 19a. of glebe;) in the patronage of Lord Hastings ; and enjoyed by the Rev. A. Dashwood, of Thornage. The Baptists have a chapel here. The Fuel allotment, 16a. 39p. awarded in 1797, is let for £26 4s. a-year. The Town Lands, vested in trust for the church and the poor, were exchanged at the enclosure for 19a. 2r. 38p. let for £22 a-year, and a house and 2r. 36p. of land, occupied rent-free by poor families. Thos. Lynn left £10 to the poor, which was expended in building a coal shed. The Elmham station on the Dereham and Fakenham railway is within three quarters of-a-mile of the village.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, March 2001; links updated January 2011.
1891 Census Names Index
Mitford & Launditch union
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Bintree Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Bintry watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Bintry [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish Information on Bintree [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page