BIRCHAM NEWTON is a small village and parish, 1 mile north from Great Bircham, 7½ miles south-west from Burnham Market, 2 south from Docking railway station and 15 north-east from Lynn, in the Western division of the county, Smithdon hundred, Docking union, Little Walsingham county court district, rural deanery of Heacham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary is a small ancient building of flint, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave and square western tower containing 1 bell: the font is ancient. The register dates from the year 1744. The living is a rectory, with that of Bircham Tofts annexed, joint yearly value £484, with house, in the gift of the Marquis of Cholmondeley and held since 1870 by he Rev. Edward Francis Edwards Hankinson M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge. The Marquis of Cholmondeley is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is of mixed character; subsoil, clay and chalk. The chief crops are on the four-course shift. The area is 1,128 acres; rateable value, £1,846; the population in 1881 was 100.
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, October 2006; links updated February 2011.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Bircham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
RAF Bircham Newton Memorial Project
Bircham Newton airfield [Robert Truman]
More on Bircham Newton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page