1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Bircham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Bircham Tofts [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Bircham Tofts

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.248.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling]

BIRCHAM TOFTS is a small village and parish, 7½ miles south-west from Burnham Market and 3 south from Docking railway station, in the Western division of the county, Smithdon hundred, Docking union, Little Walsingham county court district, rural deanery of Heacham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Andrew is a small, ancient stone structure, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of nave and low square western tower. The register dates from the year 1715. The living is a rectory, united with Bircham Newton, joint yearly value £484, in the gift of the Marquis of Cholmondeley and held since 1870 by the Rev. Edward Francis Edwards Hankinson M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge, who resides at Bircham Newton, The children attend the school at Great Bircham. Two almshouses have been erected by the Marquis of Cholmondeley for two old women. The Marquis of Cholmondeley is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is of light mixed character; subsoil, clay and chalk. The chief crops are generally on the four-course system/ The area is 1m431 acres; rateable value, £773; the population in 1881 was 135.

Letters are received through Lynn. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Docking.

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, October 2006; links updated February 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Bircham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Bircham Tofts [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page