BIXLEY is a parish and pretty village, situated on an eminence, about 3 miles south-east from Norwich, on the high road from Norwich to Beccles, in the Southern division of the county, hundred and union of Henstead, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Wandregesilius is a snall structure of flint, erected in 1874; it is in Gothic style and consists of chancel, nave, and square tower, on the site of the old church of that name, built in 1272, of which the tower only remains. The register dates from the year 1561. The living is a rectory, with that of Framingham Earl annexed, joint gross yearly value £579 with house, in the gift of Clement Brereton esq. and held sine 1878 by the Rev, Charles Turner M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge. Bixley Hall and Bixley Lodge are two exceedingly pretty seats, the formr occupied by Mrs. Martin and the latter (the property of J. J. Colman M.P.) occupied by Henry Birkbeck, jun. esq. The trustees of the late F. W. Primrose own theland attached to Bixley Hall and are lords of the manor. The soil is mixed, subsoil, gravel. The crops are on the four-course system. The area is 760 acres; rateable value, £1,624; and the population in 1881 was 160.
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Bixley Archeology [Norfol Heritage Explorer]
Bixley postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Inn in Bixley [Norfolk Pubs Index]
More on Bixley [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page