BLAKENEY (anciently called SNITTERLEY is a small coast town and parish, 5½ miles north-north-west from Holt station 8 east from Wells, 26 north-north-west from Norwich and 124 from London, in the Northern division of the county, Holt hundred, and county court district, Walsingham union, rural deanery of Holt and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Nicholas stands on a height a little to the south of the town, and is a handsome and spacious building, in the Early and Later English styles, and consists of chancel, nave and aisles, with lofty embattled tower at the west end, which serves as a landmark to marriners, and formerly contained a light for the guidance of vessels; there is also a small tower at the north-east corner of the chancel: the nave is lighted by clerestory windows, and the chancel has a groined roof, and a handsome window of seven lights in the Decorated style: on the north side are three stone sedilia : the nave is separated from the chancel by the remains of a carved screen : the font is handsome and a fine specimen of ancient sculpture : the church is now (1883) about to be restored and redecorated. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a rectory, united to those of Glandford and Cockthorpe, joint yearly value £560, in the gift of Lord Calthorpe and held since 1858 by the Rev. Richard Henry Tillard M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge. The Wesleyan Methodists and Primitive Methodists have places of worship here. Charities producing £11 yearly are distributed in fuel and clothing. Blakeney harbour is well suited for sheltering small vessels, and was improved under an Act of Parliament obtained in 1817, so that vessels of 150 tons burden can approach the quay : spring tides rise 10 feet. This was formerly a port called Blakeney and Cley; the jurisdiction extended 30 miles along the coast, from Morston on the west to Bacton Coal Gap on the east; but in 1880 it was made part of the port of Lynn; the custom house is at Lynn, with a sub-office here for Blakeney and Cley. The trade is chiefly in coal, timber and deals, hemp, iron, tar, tallow and oil-cake, of which the importation was consderable; the exports are mainly corn and flour. A few vessels are employed in the oyster fishery, and the coasting trade is considerable. Henry III. granted a market, and in the 31st of Edward III. a statute was passed regarding the fish trade, which was then carried on to a considrable extent, and attracted a great number of Dutcher merchants, several of whom fixed their residence inthe town. Here are some remains, consisting of several fine arches, of an ancient monastery for Carmelites: in this monastery John de Baconthorpe, a learned divine and acute metaphysician, became a friar and ultimately Provincial of the English Carmelites; he was born here, and died in London in 134. Lord Calthorpe is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is mixed, chiefly of a sandy nature. The area is 1,630 acres of land, and 235 of water; rateable value, £2,460; the population in 1881 was 794.
POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE.William Baker, receiver. Letters arrive from Dereham at 7.5 a.m.; dispatchd at 4.55 p.m. Wall Box, High street, cleared at 4.30 p.m.
Custom House, Henry Heath, officer
Lloyd's Sub-Agent, William Baker
Harbour Master, Thomas Dew
Odd Fellows' Hall, Mancheser Unity, Wm. Baker, sec
Adjoing the churchyard is a National school for childen of both sexes, built in 1825; Frederick Hodges, master; Mrs. F. Hodges, mistress
1891 Census Names Index
Blakeney Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Blakeney tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Catholic Church of Our Lady & St. Peter [Simon Knott]
Ships of the North (The churches of Blakeney, Cley, Salthouse & Wiveton) [Simon Knott]
More on Blakeney [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Paddy's home page