1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Wills Ralph DAWSON, 1700
Blickling watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Unlocated Inn [Norfolk Pubs Index]
Blickling Hall [norfolkcoast.co.uk] and [National Trust]
Blickling archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Blickling [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Blickling

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.250.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling]

BLICKLING is a parish and village 2 miles north-west from Aylsham station on the Great Eastern railway, and the same distance west from Aylsham Town station on the Eastern and Midlands railway, in the Northern division of the county, South Erpingham hundred. Ayslham union and county court district. rural deanery of Ingworth and archdeacopnry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Andrew is an ancient stone structure in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, porch and low square tower, and stands upon an eminence near the Hall: the church was almost entirely rebuilt in 1878, at the sole expense of Constance Marchioness of Lothian: it contains numerous inscriptions to the memory of former lords of the manor, together with some brasses and a monument of the Marquis of Lothian, who died at Blickling Hall in 1841: there is a handsome memorial window in the chancel to Caroline Ann, Dowager Lady Suffield, and a monument was erected in 1878, by Constance Marchiones of Lothian, to the late Marquis of Lothian: also a stained window by the parishioners. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a rectory, yearly value 428, consolidated with Erpingham, joint yearly value 918, in the gift of Constance, Marchioness of Lothian and held since 1868 by the Rev. Frederick Meyrick M.A. late fellow of Trinity College, Oxford, and examining chaplain to the Lord Bishop of Lincoln and Prebendary of Lincoln. The manor was one of those belonging to King Harold II, and had great privileges: part of it was attached to the see of Norwich, whose bishops had a palace here: in the latter end of the fifteenth century this manor belonged to Sir William Boleyn, whose son, Sir Thomas Boleyn, was in 1526 advanced to the title of Viscount Rochford and in 1529 created Earl of Wiltshire, honours to which he had certain hereditary pretensions, but which were so rapidly conferred by reason of Henry VIII.'s courtship of his daughter Anne Boleyn, afterwards queen: subsequently the estate was purchased by Sir Henry Hobart, Lord Chief Justice of the Court of Common Pleas (1625), whose son, in 1829, built the present stately mansion. Sir John Hobart, third baronet, was knight of the shire for Norfolk in the last three Parliaments called by King Charles II. and had the honour of a visit from the king together with his queen at his seat in 1671, when his majesty knighted Henry Hobart, the eldest son. In some ancient poetry the following distich is extant:--

"Blickling two Monarchs and two Queens have seen
One King fetched thence, another brought a Queen."

Sir John Hobart, the fifth baronet, was created Earl of Buckinghamshire. Blickling Hall, the seat of Constance Marchioness of Lothian, in its ground plan in quadriangular, with two open courts in the centre, having a square turret at each angle of the building, surmounted by a vane: the clock tower over the entrance is of modern erection: the entrance from the court in front, formed by the offices and stables, is by a bridge of two arches crossing a moat, and on each side of the bridge, upon a pedestal, is represented a bull bearing a shield: the aspect of this massive pile as seen from this court, the bridge, the moat, the turrets, and the curiously formed gables---all serve to convey an adequate idea of the domestic building of former days: the library contains over 10,000 volumes and some rare books and manuscripts: the mansion contains numerous family portraits, ancient and modern pictures of considerable value, also statues of Queen Anne Boleyn and Queen Elizabeth, and some magnificent specimens of ancient tapestry adorn the walls of the varous rooms: one piece, representing Peter the Great of Russia on horseback, was presented by a late member of the family by the Emperor of Russia, upon the occasion of his acting as ambassador to the Russian Court: the park and gardens comprise about 1,000 acres on three sides of the hall: the park is well stocked with deer, and is nearly divided by a wood of old forest trees, consisting of about 180 acres: the conduit and statues, which formerly adorned the platform of the gardens at Oxnead Hall, are preserved here, also a pyramid, upon a base 45 feet square, in which are the remains of John, Earl of Buckinghamshre and his two wives: here is a fine piece of water, in form of a crescent, extending about a mile in length and 400 yards in its greatest breadth: the pleasure gardens, about a mile in circumference, have on three sides a terrace commanding a pleasant though confined landscape, of which the adjacent town of Aylsham forms a principal feature. Constace Marchioness of Lothian is lady of the manor and sole ladowner. The soil is sand and gravel; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, roots, barley and hay. The area is 2,084A. 2R. 15P.; rateable value, 2,637; and the population in 1881 was 311,



Letters through Norwich. Aylsham is the nearest money order & telegraph office

SCHOOLS:---
A Gothic school & teachers; house was built in 1868, at the cost of the Marquid of Lothian
Parochial School, Miss Alice Stephens, certificated mistress

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; links updated February 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Wills Ralph DAWSON, 1700
Blickling watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Unlocated Inn [Norfolk Pubs Index]
Blickling Hall [norfolkcoast.co.uk]and [National Trust]
Blickling archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Blickling [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page