BLO'NORTON is a village and parish, prettily situated on the Little Ous, near the borders of Suffolk, 6 miles south-east from Harling station, and 8 west from Diss, in the Southern division of the county, union and hundred of Guiltcross, county court district of Diss, rural deanery of Rockland, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Andrew is a plain building, consisting of chancel, nave and a square tower and belfry: in 1877 it was repaired and re-pewed, and a stained east window inserted by the Goldson family. The register dates from the year 1562. The living is a rectory, yearly value £336, with 20 acres of glebe, in the gift of C. B. Goldson esq. and held since 1878 by the Rev. George Norris B.A. of Trinity College, Dublin, who resides at the Hall, an ancient mansion close to the river. Here was anciently another church, dedicated to St. Margaret. There are Congregational and Primitive Methodist chapels. There are 12 acres of town land, the rent of which is aplied to the repair of the church. C. B. Goldson esw. who is lord of the manor, Lord Hampton, Mr. Thomas Davy of Garboldisham, Mr. Richard Peck of Wilby, and Mrs. Juby of Diss, are the principal landowners. The land is of mixed soil; subsoil, chiefly clay and gravel, and about 28 acres of fen land. The chief crops are wheat, bvarley and oats. The area is 1,132 acres' rateable value, £1,885; and the population in 1881 was 243.
Letters through Thetford. The nearest money order is at Hopton, in Suffolk, & telegraph pffice at Garboldisham. LETTER BOX clared at 5.5 p.m.
Village School, Miss Lydia Taylor, mistress
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Blo' Norton postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Blo'Norton archeology [Norfolk Heitage Explorer]
More on Blo'Norton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page