1891 Census Names Index
Guiltcross hundred
Guiltcross union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Blo' Norton postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Blo'Norton archeology [Norfolk Heitage Explorer]
More on Blo'Norton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Blo' Norton

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, p. 758

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2001]

BLO-NORTON, formerly called Norton Bell-'eau, from being situated near the fair stream of the Little Ouse, is a small village and parish, 5 miles S. of East Harling, containing 90 houses, 416 inhabitants, and 1,133a. 2r. 22p. of land, belonging to many proprietors, the largest of whom is the Rev. Chas. H. Browne, M.A., lord of the manor, and patron and incumbent of the rectory, which is valued in the King's book at £5 6s. 3d., and has 20a. of glebe. The CHURCH, dedicated to St. Andrew, has a tower and five bells, and near it anciently stood another dedicated to St. Margaret, which was taken down in 1394. The Hall is an ancient mansion, occupied by the rector. The tithes are commuted for £330 per annum. Here is an Independent and Primitive Methodist chapel. The Fuel Allotment, 20a , was awarded in 1822, when the parish land was augmented to 18a., let for about £25, which is applied with the church and poor rates.

DIRECTORY

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2001; links updated January 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
Guiltcross hundred
Guiltcross union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Blo' Norton postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Blo'Norton archeology [Norfolk Heitage Explorer]
More on Blo'Norton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page