BLOFIELD is a parish, head of union and polling-place for the Southern division of the county, 7 miles east from Norwich, in the Blofield hundred, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Blofield and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich, on the road from Norwich to Yarmouth: the Norwich and Yarmouth railway passes within a mile and a quarter, and has a station at Brundall, 119½ miles from London. The church of St. Andrew is a very fine specimen of the fifteenth century architecture, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, porch and a handsome lofty tower, terminated with four statues as pinnacles, containing 6 bells, and was restored in 1878: the seats in the body of the chuch are all free; there are pews in the aisles, but it is proposed to substitute open seats for them: there are several monuments, one of which is in marble, with small kneeling figures, to the memory of one of the Paston family, a gentleman belonging to the Privy Chamber of Henry VIII.: the font, which is octagonal, is of stone and appears to be of great antiquity, and has been sculptured, representing the Birth, different periods of the Life, Crucifixion, Resurrection and Ascension of Our Saviour, which is much defaced. The register dates from the year 1545. The living is a rectory net yearly value £896 with residence, in the gift of Caius College, Cambridge, and held since 1880 by the Rev. James Percy Garrick M.A. late fellow and tutor of that college. Here is a Baptist chapel, and a Mission Room, and a Primitive Methodist chapel at the Heath. The Rev. Mr. Reve, a former rector of this parish, gave a house, situated near the church, and £10 a year, to be paid to a schoolmaster, to be chosen by the minister, churchwardens and overseers for the time being, for the better education of children whose parents were too poor to pay for the same; he also gave three different benefactions, amounting to £6 7s. to be paid yearly in bread and clothing to poor widows belonging to this parish. Since the formation of a School Board in this parish, this school has become obsolete, and a new scheme for management of the charity has been recently promulgated by Her majesty's Charity Commissioners. The charities amount to £40 yearly for distribution, and there is a fuel allotment of 37 acres, let at £60 yearly. The trustees of the late Henry N. Burroughes esq. who are lords of the manor, and Charles Tuck esq. and W. H. Jary esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is good mixed; subsoil, brick earth, clay and sand. The chief crops are the usual cereals and roots. The area is 2,334 acres; rateable value £5,564; and the population in 1881 was 1,136
POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE & Savings Bank.John Wright, receiver. Letters received from Norwich at 5.30 a.m. & dispatched at 5.30 p.m. Box closes at 5.25 p.m.
COUNTY MAGISTRATES FOR BLOFIELD & WALSHAM PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION.
Petty sessions are held at the Globe inn every alternate mondays at 10 a.m.
INSURANCE AGENTS.Norwich Union Fire, H. B. Stockings & J. D. Overed
PUBLIC OFFICER.Surveyor of the Highways, Cornelius Waters
There is a School Board, formed in 1875, consisting of five members, fort he united districts of Blofield & Hemblington; H. H. Cole, Norwich, clerk to the Board.
Board, Geo. Mower, master; Miss Martha Mower, mistress
Hemblington Board School, Arthur Deeks, master
CARRIERS.Several pass through the parish
Great Eastern Railway Parcel Collection & Delivery, from Brundall Station, daily, J. D. Lynes, agent
Board day, alternate tuesdays, at the board-room at Lingwood
Clerk to the Guardians, H. H. Cole, 67 London street, Norwich
Relieving & Vaccination Officers, Eastern district, Harry Thomas Capon, Acle;
Western district, Albert Royal, Blofield
Medical Officers & Public Vaccinators, Acle district, W. H. Cufaude, Acle;
Blofield district, R. B. Kidd, Blofield; Thorpe district, W. Guy M.D. Norwich
Superintendent Registrar, H. H. Cole
Registrars of Births & Deaths, No. 1, Blofield sub-district, Albert Royal, Blofield;
No. 2, South Walsham sub-district, Harry Thomas Capon, Acle
Registrar of Marriages, Albert Royal, Blofield; deputy, John Davy Overed, Blofield
Workhouse, Lingwood, Richard Thomas Ripp, master; Mrs. Mary Ann Ripp, matron;
Rev. Augustus Frederick Bellman MA chaplain; Robert Bohun Kidd, medical officer;
Miss Sarah Cross, schoolmistress
RURAL SANITARY AUTHORITY.
Clerk, H. H. Cole, 67 London street, Norwich
Medical Officer of Health, Frank Cufaude L.R.C.P. Edin. Acle
Inspector of Nuisances, John Davy Overed, Blofield
Bane Joseph Emmerson
Brown Major John Harman, The Cedars
Cooke John Edward
Garrick Rev. James Percy M.A. Rectory
Gilbert Edward J.P. Blofield house
Kidd Robert Bosun
Lynes Joseph William
Steward Philip, The Elms
Thackeray Rev. Arthur Thomas James M.A. [curate], The Grove
Woolsey Henry Edward
Worth Miss, Blofield lodge