BODNEY, 7 miles S. of Swaffham, is a parish with 18 houses, 103 souls, and 2,538 acres of land, the property of George Anne, Esq., of Burghwallis, Yorkshire; Mr. Henry Debenham, of Mundford, has the Lodge farm, and Mr. William Sutton occupies the Hall farm. The Old Hall was taken down many years ago, and was at one time the tranquil retreat of the nuns of Montargis, among whom Eloise Adelaide de Bourbon, daughter of the Prince de Conde, took the veil here on July 9th, 1805. The Church is a small edifice of flint and pebbles, and the living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's book at £6 7s. 8d., and consolidated with Great Cressingham.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2000; links updated January 2011.
1891 Census Names Index
South Greenhoe hundred
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hilborough (& Bodney) Archeology and Bodney Archeological details [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Bodney airfield control tower
352nd Fighter Group USAF
More on Bodney [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page