1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Booton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Booton postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Local information [norfolkcoast.co.uk]
The churches of Bawdeswell, Booton & Heydon [Simon Knott]
More on Booton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Booton

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.252.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

BOOTON is a village and parish. 11 miles from Norwich, 6 south-west from Aylsham and 1 east from Reepham station on the East Norfolk branch of the Great Eastern railway, in the Northern division of the county, South Erpingham hundred. St. Faith's union and county court district. rural deanery of Ingworth and archdeacopnry and drocese of Norwich. The church of St. Michael and All Angels is an ancient flint building with stone dressings: the chancel, which, with repeaed patchings, had been reduced to the state of a common barn, has been rebuilt in the Early Decorated style: the windows are filled with beautiful stained glass, representing the angelic subjects of Scripture: the nave, which has also been much patched with debased work, and was extremely dilapidated, is in the process of restoration: there is a square western tower containing 1 bell. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a rectory, gross yearly value tithe rent charge 294 10s. with 23 acres of glebe and residence in the gift of Hastings Elwin esq. and held since 1849 by the Rev. Whitwell Elwin B.A. of Caius College, Cambridge. Booton Hall is occupied by Henry Jackson Butler esq. and is a large plain red brick mansion. The Grove, occupied by Henry Woods Butler esq. is a pleasantly situated residence with grounds and lawn in front, well laid out: there is also a small piece of water with an island in the centre, studded with trees. Hastings Elwin esq. of Gorleston is lord of the manor and chief landowner. H. W. Butler, H. T. Knights and Benjamin Holmes esqrs. are also landowners in this parish. The soil is sand and loam; subsoil, sand and clay, The chief crops are wheat, roots, barley and hay. The area is 1,021 acres; rateable value, 1,888; the population in 1881 was 203.



POST OFFICE.-- Charles John Flatman, postmaster. Letters received through Norwich at 6.10 a.m.; dispatched at 4.40 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Reepham

This parish is contributory to Reepham with Kerdiston School Board formed in 1876, and send 1 member. The children attend the Board School there

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007, with minor corrections August, 2009; links updated January 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Booton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Booton postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Local information [norfolkcoast.co.uk]
The churches of Bawdeswell, Booton & Heydon [Simon Knott]
More on Booton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page