BOUGHTON ia a village and parish, 1 mile north from Stoke Ferry and 7 miles east from Downham Market station, in the Western division of the county, Clackclose hundred, Downham union and county court district, rural deanery of Fincham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints was rebuilt in the Early English and Decorated styles, with exception of the tower, in 1872, at a cost of about £1,000, by public subscription : it has chancel, nave and square tower with 3 bells and porch. The register dates from the year 1729. The living is a discharged rectory, in the gift of Sir W. H. B. ffolkes bart, and held since 1853 by the Rev. Smith Churchill B.A. of Pembroke College, Cambridge. The tithes are commuted at £418 per annum, with 29 acres of glebe land. The Wesleyan chapel is a Gothic structure, built in 1871, with day and Sunday schools attached. In the centre of the village is a large pond of clear water. Sir Henry George Paston-Bedingfield bart. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is of varied description, one half being strong clay land; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, roots and hay. The area is 1,323 acres; rateable value, £1,988; the population in 1881 was 236.
Letters through Brandon. WALL LETTER BOX cleared at 5.15 p.m. week days only. Stoke Ferry is the nearest money order office
Village School, Mrs. Sarah Walkom, mistress
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July, 2009; links updated May 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Boughton ArcheologyBoughton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Boughton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page