BOWTHORPE is a parish 3½ miles west-by-north from Norwich, in the Southern division of the county, Forehoe hundred and union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Hingham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich, situated on the river Yare. Of the church (St. Michael) the ruined walls only remain: the churchyard has been walled to prevent desecration. The vicarage is consolidated with Earlham. E. B. Frank esq. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is light and sandy: subsoil, mixed. The chief crops are of the usual kind. The area is 645 acres; rateable value, £697; the population in 1881 was 65.Letters received through Norwich, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
and see Inns in Bowthorpe [Richard Bristow]
More on Bowthorpe [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page