BRACON ASH is a village and parish 2 miles north-west from Flordon station and 6 south-west from Norwich, in the Southern division of the county, Humbleyard hundred, Henstead union, county court district of Norwich, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich, The church of St. Nicholas is a small building of flint, stone and brick, plastered: it has a chancel, nave, south aisle and north porch: the steeple has at some time unhappily fallen, and a cupola contains the solitary bell: the chancel is of the Decorated style, with very rare and rich internal embellishments: the nave and aisle are in the Perpendicular style, The register dates from the year 1563. The living is a rectory, yearly value £245: the Rev. Thomas Berney M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge, is patron and has been the incumbent since 1855. Here is a church school, under the patronage of the rector. Lord Chancellor Thurlow esq was born here, in 1730. Bracon Ash Park (otherwise Bracone Ashe Parke), in extent 264 acres, is one of the most ancient in Norfolk: it pays to the rector a modus of £5, the commuted value of a buck and doe, in lieu of all tithes. Bracon Ash Hall, standing in the park, is a spacious modern brick mansion, standing on the site of a much older building, where Queen Elizabeth is said to have visited; it is the seat of the Rev. Thomas Berney M.A. who is lord of the manor. The manor includes Hethel Jernynghams, which lies contiguous to it, in the parish of Hethel. The family of Berney is of great antiquity, having originally come from Berney (now spelt Bernay), in Normandy, and settled in this county prior to the Conquest, and given name to both the manor and parish of Berney, in West Norfolk. Mergate Hall, the seat of Sir Kenneth Hagar Kemp bart J.P. is a very ancient residence, and is approached by a fine avenue of oaks: it came into the Kemp family in 1872, together with the manors of Flordon and Gissing, by marriage with Isabel Hastings. According to the Loxly manuscripts Queen Elizabeth came here is search of recusants. The Rev. Thomas Berney and Sir Kenneth Hagar Kemp bart. are the chief landowners. The soil is various from clay to sand; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots. The market gardens and forcing houses of James Church and Son are on extensive scale, and form a conspicuous object in the village. The area is 974 acres; rateable value, £1,982; the population in 1871 was 236.
INSURANCE AGENT.-Royal Farmers' & General, F.C. Myhill (for hail)
A School Board of five members was formed in 1875 for the united districts of Braco Ash and Hethel. G. Plumstead, Wymondham, clerk to the board
Board School, erected in 1877, for the two parishes, to hold 80 children; average attendance, 60; Miss Curtis Pyle, mistress; Miss Edith Howell, infants' mistress
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; register date corrected January 2010; links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883[GENUKI-NFK]
Bracon Ash Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Bracon Ash [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page