1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Lord Blake of Braydeston [obituary - The Guardian, 23 Sep, 2003]
More on Bradestone [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Bradestone

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 254.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

BRADESTON (or BRADISTONE) is a parish and village 6 miles east from Norwich; it is in the South Eastern division of the county, Blofield hundred and union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Blofield and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The Brundall station on the and Yarmouth branch of the Great Eastrn railway is in this parish. The church of St. Michael is a handsome building, somprising chancel, nave, and square tower, pricipally of flint, situated half a mile north-east of the village: the church was restored in 1879 by Mrs. Gilbert in memory of her husband. The register dates from the year 1571. The living is a rectory, consolidated with Strumpshaw, joimt year;y value 520, with 64 acres of glebe, in the gift of W. M. Barton esq. and held since 1833 by the Rev. Edmund Salter Whitbread M.A. of Trinity Hall, Cambridge. R. H. Neville esq. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is mixed; subsoil, sand and brick earth. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 516 avres; rateable value, 1,218; and the population in 1881 was 165.


Letters received through Norwich. WALL LETTER BOX cleared at 4.40 p.m. week days only. Blofield is the nearest money order & telegraph office

This place is incldued in the United School Board District of Strumpshaw. formed in 1873. The school is at Strumpshaw

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, April, 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Lord Blake of Braydeston [obituary - The Guardian, 23 Sep, 2003]
More on Bradestone [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page