[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]
BRADWELL is a parish and village, seated on a height, 3 miles south-south-west from Yarmouth (Southtown) station and 8 north-west from Lowestoft. in the Eastern division of the county, hundred and incorporation of Mutford & Lothingland, GreatYarmouth county court district, Suffolk archdeaconry and Norwich diocese. The church of St. Nicholas is a structure of flint with stone dressings in the Later Decorated style: it consists of chencel, nave, aisles, south porch and low round tower containing 3 bells: in 1875 a partial restortion of the church was effected, the old pews were removed and open benches substituted, with pulpit, reading-desk and chancel stalls of corresponding design: a new open-timbered rood was also put to the chancel. The register dates from the year 1616. The living is a rectory, tithes commuted at £632 yearly, with residence amd 13 acres of glebe, in the gift of and held since 1864 by the Rev. John Walker M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge. Hobland Hall, the residence of Mrs. Barber, is an ancient brick building, situated in a well-wooded park of 36 acres. The principal landowners are Magdalen College, Oxford, and the trustees of the late William Shepherd, Samuel Nightingale jun. Mr. S. K. Smith, Mr. William R. Smith and the trustees of the late Thomas Barber. The soil is sandy; subsoil, sandy. The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots. The area is 2,383 acres, nearly one-fourth of which is marsh land, near the river Yare; rateable value. £4,864; population in 1881, 540.
A good National school was erected in 1867; Miss Olivia Bridge, mistress
Parish Council web-site
Heritage Summary [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page