1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Bramerton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Bramerton postmill and towermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Bramerton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Bramerton

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.254.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

BRAMERTON is a parish beautifully situated on the river Yare, 4¾ miles south-east of Norwich and 3½ south-east from Trowse station, in the Southern division of the county, hundred and union of Henstead, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St.Peter is an ancient structure, in the Early English style, rebuilt in 146, and consists of chancel, nave and transept, with a square tower, ornamented with small spires at each corner, and containing 1 bell. The register dates fromthe year 1560. The living is a rectory, yearly value £290, in the gift of Robert Fellowes esq. and held since 1883 by the Rev. William Henry Dix B.A. of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge. The town's land consists of 5A,2R. 20P, and let for £6 a year, which is distributed in coals to the poor, The commons were enclosed in 1852, when the two acres were allotted to the poor, divided into eight garden plots, for which the tenants pay a small sum; two acres of ground also were allotted to the recreation ground. The parish has £5 every fifth year for apprentice fees, and £1 yearly for the poor, from Cock's charity. Bramerton Hall, the seat of the Corys from about 1400 to about a century and a quarter since; it is now the seat of Miss Blake: it was partly rebuilt in 1870 by J. J. Blake esq the late owner: the building is principally of white brick. Hill house is a fine specimen of the Tudor style, commanding a fine prospect, the property of Henry Maudslay esq. There are no manorial rights. The principal landowners are Miss Blake and George England esq. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips &c. The area is 728 acres of rich land; rateable value, £1,962; the population in 1881 was 249.



POST OFFICE.--William Cook, postmaster. Letters arrive form Norwich, by foot post, viā Trowse, at 7.45 a.m.; dispatched at 4.40 p.m. Trowse is the nearest money order & telegraph office,

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1875 for the United School Board District of Bramerton & Kirby Bedon; J. Chaplin, P. O. Framingham Earl. clerk to the Board. The children of this parent attend the Board school at Kirby Bedon

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Bramerton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Bramerton postmill and towermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Bramerton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page