1891 Census Names Index
Wills & Other Documents
White's 1854
White's 1883 {GENUKI-NFK]
Brancaster Staithe Village page
The Brancaster "Castle" Story [Daily Telegraph article]
Brancaster north postmill and south postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Brancaster archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Local council web-site
More on Brancaster [GENUKI]NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Paddy's Home Page
Village Index

Norfolk - Brancaster

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 255.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

BRANCASTER is a parish and considerable village, 5 miles north-west-north-west from Burnham Market station, 7 from Hunstanton station and 22 from Lynn, in the Western division of the county, Smithdon hundred, Docking union, Fakenham [sic. Walsingham] county court district, Heacham rural deanery, Norfolk archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich: the village is situated on the bay of its name and on a creek of the German Ocean. The church of St. Mary is in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave, with clerestory, aisles and porch, and has a fine square tower at the west end containing 1 bell. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a rectory, yearly value 821, with residence and 7 acres of glebe, in the gift of and held since 1868 by the Rev. Charles George Robert Birch LL.M. of trinity Hall, Cambridge. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and the Primitive Methodists also have a chapel at Brancaster Staith. Here was the Roman station, Branodunum, garrisoned by the Dalmation cavalry under a general designated Count of the Saxon shore: the castle and intrenchments occupied about six acres of ground above the marsh, where part of the ditch and stones are still visible on the north side, A Roman road, called the Jews'-way, passed from Brancaster along the coast to the Roman station at Caister-next-Yarmouth . Many objects of antiquity have been found at different periods. Simms Reeve esq, who is lord of the manor, and Mr. George Philcox are the principal landowners. The soil is mixed, but generally light; subsoil, marl and gravel. The area is 3,669 acres, including about 1,300 acres of salt marsh and common; rateable value, 4,728; the population in 1881 was 770.

      Brancaster Staith is a straggling village in the above parish, and is about 1 mile east from the church. Here is a coastguard station.


POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE & Savings Bank.—George Bennell, sub-postmaster. Letters through Lynn, by mail cart, arrive at 8.5a.m.; dispatched at 4.20 p.m.

POST OFFICE, Brancaster Staith.—Alexander McCreedy, sub-postmaster. Letters through Lynn, by mail cart, arrive at 8.35a.m.; dispatched at 4.5 p.m.

Superintendent Registrar (Docking Union), Saml. Sharpe

Coast Guard Sation, Geo. David Lumsden, chief officer

SCHOOLS:-—
         There is a Free school for boys founded by Robert Smith & his sister, about the year 1503, under the management of trustees: also
         almshouses for four poor women, on the same foundation, Reuben Messer, master

         School for girls & infants, erected in 1860, & supported by voluntary contributions, Miss A. E. York, mistress
 

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, February 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
Wills & Other Documents
White's 1854
White's 1883 {GENUKI-NFK]
Brancaster Staithe Village page
The Brancaster "Castle" Story [Daily Telegraph article]
Brancaster north postmill and south postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Brancaster archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Local council web-site
More on Brancaster [GENUKI]NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Paddy's Home Page
Village Index