1891 Census Names Index
Smithdon hundred
Docking union
Wills & Other Documents
Kelly's 1883
White's 1883 {GENUKI-NFK]
Brancaster Staithe Village page
The Brancaster "Castle" Story [Daily Telegraph article]
Brancaster north postmill and south postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Brancaster archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Local council web-site
More on Brancaster [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Paddy's Home Page
Village Index

Norfolk - Brancaster

Francis White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk 1854, pp. 846-847

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2000]

BRANCASTER is a populous village of scattered houses, 4½ miles W.N.W. of Burnham Market, with a staith or quay, where the tide rises nine feet in a commodious creek, which crosses the salt marshes to that part of the ocean called Brancaster Bay. It has a considerable trade in coal and corn. The parish contains 247 houses, 1,079 inhabitants, and 2,969 acres of land, belonging to H. Lee Warner, Esq., S. & J. Sharpe, Mr. J. Middleton, and other proprietors ; but Mary, the wife of J. N. Reeve, Esq., is lady of the manor. Here was a Roman station, Branodunum, and garrisoned with the Dalmatian cavalry under a General, designated Count of the Saxon Shore. The castle and entrenchments occupied about six acres of ground, above the marsh, where part of the ditch is still visible, and many stones on the north side, but the outer walls were used many years ago in the erection of a malt house said to be the largest in England, being 312 feet long by 31 broad, capable of wetting 420 quarters of barley per week, but not now used for this purpose. Numerous coins, urns and other antiquities, have been found here. A Roman road, afterwards called the Jews' way, passed from Brancaster along the coast to the Roman station at Caistor-next-Yarmouth. The CHURCH, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, has a square tower, and was thoroughly repaired in 1832-'3. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £24, is in the patronage of Wm. Sadler, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Ottiwell Sadler, M.A., who has a commodious residence, and 9a. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1841 for £824 10s. 4d. The Church land, 1a., is let for £2 2s. The ALMSHOUSE for four poor people, (rebuilt out of surplus rents in 1851) and the FREE SCHOOL, for poor children of Brancaster, Titchwell, Thornham, and Burnham Deepdale, were both founded in 1593 by Robert Smith, who endowed them with land, now consisting of 68a. 18p., (as set out under the enclosure Act in 1755), and let for £79 4s. 10d. a year. Out of this income £40 is paid to the schoolmaster ; each of the 25 free scholars are provided with clothing to the value of 12s. yearly ; and the four alms people have each a chaldron of coals annually, and about 20s. in clothing every alternate year. Francis Brampton, in 1651, left 40s. a year to be distributed in bread. The Rev. F. Bell, in 1725, left £50 to be laid out in land—the rent to be applied in repairing his tomb, and in distributions among the poor. The land purchased is 10a., now let for £12 10s. a year, which is expended in coals. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and here is a Coast Guard station with a chief officer and four boatmen.

Post Office at George Bennell's: letters arrive at 9 a.m., and are despatched at 4 p.m.

Those marked * reside at Staith.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2000; links updated February 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
Smithdon hundred
Docking union
Wills & Other Documents
Kelly's 1883
White's 1883 {GENUKI-NFK]
Brancaster Staithe Village page
The Brancaster "Castle" Story [Daily Telegraph article]
Brancaster north postmill and south postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Brancaster archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Local council web-site
More on Brancaster [GENUKI]NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Paddy's Home Page
Village Index