1891 Census Names Index
White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Brandestone Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Brandiston watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Brandiston [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Brandestone

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.255.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

BRANDESTONE is a village parish 10 miles north-west from Norwich, 6 south-west from Aylsham station and 2 south from Cawston station on the Great Eastern railway, in the Northern division of the county, Eynsford hundred, St. Faith's union, Aysham county court district, rural deanery of Sparham and archceaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Nicholas is a small flint building, in the Perpendicular style, with chancel, nave and porch:   the windows contain some ancient stained glass: it was restored by the former incumbent in 1850, and since by the present incumbent. The regsiters date from the year 1610, but are not complete. The living is a rectory. yearly value 243 10s. with 10 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Magdalen College, Oxford, and held since 1850 by the Rev. John McMahon Wilder B.D. of Emmanuel College, Cambridge. Gurney's charity of 33 10s. yearly, with 4 charity cottages, is applied in giving pecuniary donations and relief in sickness or need to each family. Brandestone Hall, the seat of the Rev. William Atthill M.A. is a red brick mansion, in the Elizabethan style, erected in 1647, and considerably enlarged in 1875:   it contains many fine specimens of ancient oak carvings. Guton Hall is occupied by Arthur Leamon esq. The Master and Fellows of Magdalen College, Oxford, are lords of the manor. The Rev. William Atthill M.A. Edward Fellowes esq M.P. the Rev. H. Evans Lombe J.P. H. W. Butler and H. Elwin esqrs. are the chief landowners. The soil is loamy and mixed; subsoil, clay and sand. The chief crops are wheat, roots, barley and hay. The area is 763A. 1R. 27P.; reateable value, 1,354; and the population in 1881 was 142.

Letters received through Norwich by foot post. The nearest money order offices are at Cawston and Reepham. 2 & 3 miles distant. The telegraph office is at Reepham

The children of the parish attend school at Haveringland

Transcription © Copyright E.C.("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; spelling corrections. and links updated December 2009.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Brandestone Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Brandiston watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Brandiston [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page