BRANDON PARVA is a parish, with a scattered population, 2½ miles north from Hardingham station and 5½ north-east from Wymondham. in the Southern division of the county, Forehore hundred and union, rural deanery of Hingham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich, situated on the river Yare. The church of All Saints, in the Perpendicular style, has a chancel and nave, with square tower containing 1 bell, and was repaired in 1860, and has since been restored and re-seated by subscription of the landowners. The register dates from the year 1694. The living is a rectory, tithe rent charge £321, with 14 acres of glebe, in the gift of Mrs. Gwyn, and held since 1862 by the Rev. Philip Preston Gwyn M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge. Warner's charity of £10 yearly is for distribution, and the fuel allotment of 10 acres produces £13, which is given to the poor in coals. T. B. Dring and J. W. Sutton esqrs. are the chief landowners, and the latter is lord of the manor. The soil is various; subsoil, brick earth. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and hay. The area is 979 acres; rateable value,£1,633; the population in 1881 was 162.
Letters through Wymondham. Barnham Broom is the nearest money order office & Mattishall is the nearest telegraph office. LETTER BOX cleared at 5.35 p.m. week days only
The school is at present conducted in a cottage near the rectory, but new premises are about to be erected at a probable cost of £350, Miss Eliza Clarke, mistress
© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, May 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Archeology of Runhall (and Brandon Parva) [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Brandon Parva [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page