BRANDON PARVA, 5 miles N.N.W. of Wymondham, contains in its parish 46 houses, 212 inhabitants, and 982a. 0r. 28p. of land, mostly the property of O. S. Onley, Esq., the lord of the manor. The Church, dedicated to All Saints, has a square tower and three bells. The rectory, valued in the King's books [sic] at £8 3s. 9d., has a yearly rent of £321, awarded in 1841, in lieu of tithes. Isaac Preston, Esq., is patron, and the Rev. Saml. T. Preston, L. L. B., incumbent, who is now building a new parsonage house. Abigail Costwell, in 1692, left £20 towards building a school here, and charged the High House Farm with the yearly rent charge of 20s. for its support. The old school house was divided into three tenements many years ago, and subsequently claimed by the churchwardens, who, in 1833, agreed to pay the rent of one of them, (£2 5s.) for the support of the school built here by C. S. H. Onley, Esq., and now supported chiefly by subscription. Jno. Warner, in 1702, left £10 a year, to be given to the poor on Christmas day. The Fuel allotment, 10 acres, awarded in 1833, produces £12 a year.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, April, 2001; links updated May 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Archeology of Runhall (and Brandon Parva) [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Brandon Parva [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page