Note: An alternative spelling for this village is Breccles.
BRECKLES is a village and parish 5 miles south-east from Watton, about 1½ south-east from Stow Bedon station, in the Western division of the county, Wayland hundred and union, Attleborough county court district, rural deanery of Breckles and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Margaret is a building of flint, in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave and round tower with 2 bells, and was restored in 1862: it contains a fine Norman font and arch. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a vicarage yearly value £45 in the gift of Sir Edward C. Kerrison bart. and held since 1850 by the Rev. William Smyth Thorpe B.A. of Wadham College, Oxford, who resides at Shropham Villa, Larlingford, Thetford. Sir E. C. Kerrison bart. is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is sand and gravel; subsoil, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and turnips. The area is 1,860 acres; rateable value. £1,098; and the population in 1881 was 130.
Letters through Attleborough. The nearest money order office & telegraph office at Wretham.
Here is a small school maintained by Sir E. C. Kerrison bart. The parish is a contributing district, sending two members to the Hockham School Board.
School, Mrs. Harriet Dexter, mistress
© Transcribed by E.C.("Paddy") Apling, January 1999; links updated February 2010.
Note: BRECKLES is in the rural deanery of Breccles. The name is mis-spelt as above in the original.
1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1900 [Martin Edwards]
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
1875 Post Office Directory [Norfolk Heritage Explorations]
Breckles (village & family) home page [Duncan Breckles]
Breckles church (and audio tour) [Wayland and Watton info]
Breckles archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Breckles [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page