Transcribed with acknowledgement to Kelly's Directories (a division of Reed Information).
BRECCLES (or BRECKLES) is a village and ecclesiastical parish about 2¼ miles south from Stow Bedon station on the Swaffham and Thetford section of the London and North Eastern railway and 5 south-east from Watton, in the rural deanery of Breccles, archdeaconry of Lynn and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Margaret is a building of flint, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a round western tower, with octagonal belfry stage, containing one bell, and was restored in 1862; the fine Norman font is ornamented on one side with figures of the four Evangelists, and there is a good Norman arch; the chancel retains a piscina, and the doorway and steps to the roodloft are in good preservation: the chancel and nave are divided by a handsome carved oak screen, with an hour glass: the pulpit is of carved oak and the open benches have carved poppy heads: in the chancel is a memorial slab of black marble, with the arms of Webb impaling Richardson, to John Webb esq. ob. 1658, and Mary, his wife, daughter of Sir Thomas Richardson kt. of Honington, Lord Chief Justice of England ob. 1626: there is also fastened, as it were, to this slab, by a strap and buckle, cut in the stone, a small oval of black marble, with the words "Statut Vixit Erecto," which covers the grave of Ursula (Webb), wife of Sir William Hewyt kt. ob. 1667: the organ, provided in 1904 at a cost of about £200, was the gift of the Hon. C. S. M. Bateman-Hanbury and friends: the church affords about 130 sittings. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a vicarage, united to that of Stow Bedon, joint net yearly value £350, including two acres of glebe, in the gift of the executors of the late Kenneth Bremner esq. and held since 1937 by the Rev. . Breccles Hall, a mansion of the 15th century, the seat of the Hon. Mrs. Edwin Montagu, who is lady of the manor, contains a panelled hall and several panelled rooms and three octagonal staircases. The principal landowners are Messrs. Walter Whalebelly and Frederick Teat. The soil is sand and gravel; subsoil, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, sugar beet, oats and turnips. The population in 1931 was 341.
Letters through Attleborough. The nearest M.O. & T. office is Great Hockham.
Transcription © Copyright R.C. Tuck, January 1999; links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1900 [Martin Edwards]
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
1875 Post Office Directory [Norfolk Heritage Explorations]
Breckles Church [Wayland Heritage]
Breckles (village & family) home page [Duncan Breckles]
Breckles church (and audio tour) [Wayland and Watton info]
Breckles archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Breckles [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page