BRECKLES, or BRECCLES, a small parish, 5 miles S. by E. of Watton, has 136 souls, 27 houses, and about 1,500 acres of land, the property of Edward Kerrison, Esq., the lord of the manor, and patron of the Church, which is dedicated to St. Margaret, and is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's book at £7 7s. 11d., and in 1831 at £41. From 1767 to 1824, it was augmented with £1,000 Queen Anne's bounty. The Rev. W. S. Thorpe, of Shropham, is the incumbent. In 1806 John Stubbings died here in his 108th year.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, April, 2001; links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1883 and 1937
Kelly's 1900 [Martin Edwards]
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
1875 Post Office Directory [Norfolk Heritage Explorations]
Breckles (village & family) home page [Duncan Breckles]
Breckles church (and audio tour) [Wayland and Watton info]
Breckles archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Breckles [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page