[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C.("Paddy") Apling]
BRESSINGHAM (or BRISSINGHAM) is a parish and long straggling village on the bordesof Suffolk, on the river Waveney, 3 miles north-westfrim Diss station, in the Southern section of the county, Diss hundred, Depwade union, Harleston county court district Redenhall rural deanery, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. John the Baptist was rebuilt in 1527, and is a Perpendicular building, consisying of chancel, nave, aisles and lofty square tower, containing 5 bells: the interior is light, with a roof of beautifully carved oak: the pulpit, reading-desk and pews are also of oak and elaborately carved: the eastrn window is stained and ornamented with various scriptural figures: and there are sevral marble monuments to the family of Martin, the celebrated antiquarian: in the north aisle a staine dwindowmm representing SS. Petr and Paul, has been inserted at the expense of Mr, R. N. Bunn, in memory of his father, who resided in this parish upwards of 40 years: the adjoinign window, also stained, was inserted by Mrs. Huson. The registr dates from the year 1559. The living is a rectory, yearly value £455 with residence, in the gift of W. Wilson esq. and held since 1841 by th Rev. George Henry Clarke Bidwell M.A. of Clare College, Cambridge, who has a handsome rectory house here, built in the Elizabethan style. The Wesleyan Methodists have a small chapel here. Mrs. Elizabeth Barker's charity of £12 yearly is distributed in prizes to the children of the Sunday and Board schools. Wellham's charity of £2 yearly, is for bread, and the poor have an allotment of 24 acres. Bressingham Hall, plesantly situated a short distance from the church, is the seat and property of Arthur Pontifex esq. The Rev. G. H. C. Bidwell is lord of the rectory manor. The Duke of Norfolk, Harrison Allen esq. Arthur Pontifex esq, Mrs. Pitcher, the trustees of Mr. Charles Muskett, Mr. Robert Newton Bunn and Mr. Horace Robert Woodcock are the principal landowners. The land is of mixed soil; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat and barley. The area is 2,354 acres; rateable value, £3,782; and the population in 1881 was 509.
A School Board of 5 membrs was formed in 1875' F. Fowell, Garboldisham, clerk to the Board
Board School, built in 1878, at a cost of £850m to hold 100 children; average attendance 70; Samuek Skerrey, master
Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 2011.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1845, Harrod's 1878 and Kelly's 1900 [Bressingham & Fersfield web-site]
Bressingham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Bressingham postmills, Bressingham Common smockmill, Fen street smockmill and Lopham Road smockmill [all Jonathan Neville]
Bressingham & Fersfield [Bressingham & Fersfield web-site]
More on Bressingham [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]