BRESSINGHAM, 2 miles W. by N. of Diss, is a large village and parish with 150 houses, 674 souls, and 2,295a. 1r. 24p. of land, chiefly comprised in the Duke of Norfolk's manor of Bressingham and Boyland, and partly in the rectory manor, and Buckenham priory manor. Boyland Hall , an ancient mansion, was built by Sir Richard de Boyland, an itinerant judge, in the reign of Edward I., who formed here a "subterraneous walk" or conduit, by which water was brought to his baths and moats from an overflowing well, which still remains. The Church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, was rebuilt in 1526, and is a commodious edifice with a fine tower, and five bells. The east window is ornamented with stained glass. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £15, is in the patronage of C. Bidwell, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. G. H. C. Bidwell, M.A., who has a handsome rectory house, built in 1842, 36a. 0r. 12p. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £613 awarded in 1843, in lieu of tithes. Eliz. Barker in 1728, left certain property for schooling poor children, which now consists of a house and school-room,and 5a. 3r. 8p. of land, including an allotment awarded at the enclosure, worth about £15 a-year, for which the master teaches about eight scholars free. The poor have a yearly rent of £2 left by John Welham in 1702. The Fuel Allotment contains 24a. 0r. 15p., and the Town Lands, partly acquired at the enclosure of 1802, comprise 10a. 0r. 31p,, let for about £20 a-year. Here are also two houses and 3r. of land, occupied by poor people.
Bidwell Rev. Geo. Hy. Clarke, B.A. rector
Eaton Peter, wheelwright
Francis Robt. vict., Chequers Garnham Jno. par. clerk
Hewitt Saml. corn miller Huson Hy. corn miller Landamore Jno. shopkpr
Loveless Jno. blacksmith
Middleton Robt. beer house Noble Jno. shopkpr
Porcher Hy. shoemaker
Punt Jerem. blacksmith
Thwaites Jas. shopkpr
Woodcock Chas. beer house
Bun Robt. Newson
Muskett Charles Bressingham hs Page Eliz.
Potter Robt. R.
Tacon Jas. Boyland Hall.
Whitmore Richd. Hall Woodcock Horace Robt.