BRETTENHAM is a parish and village, connected with Rushford by a bridge over the river Thet, 4 miles east from Thetford station, in the Southern division of the county, Thetford union and county court district, Shropham hundred, rural deanery of Rockland, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. About the latter part of the seventeenth century the church, together with the rectory house, were destroyed by fire. The present church of St. Andrew, a small and beautiful edifice, in the Decorated style, having chancel, nave, two transepts, vestry and square tower containing 5 bells, was built in 1852 at the expense of the Dowager Lady Button. The register dates from the year 1777. The living is a rectory, consolidated by Order in Council with the adjoining benefice of Rushford, of the annual joint gross value of £340, in the gift of Sir Robert Jacob Buxton bart. M.P. of Shadwell Court, and held since 1878 by the Rev. Edward Kedington Bennet D.C.L. of University College, Oxford. Sir Robert Jacob Buxton bart. M.P. is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is clay and sand; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat and barley. The population in 1881 was 93, comprising a few cottages and one farm of 1,981 acres; rateable value, £889.
Letters received form Thetford, the nearest money order & telegraph office
The children attend Rushford school
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, February 1999; links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Brettenham & Kilverstone Parish Council
Brettenham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Brettenham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page