BRETTENHAM parish, 4 miles E. of Thetford, has only one farm house, a few cottages, 77 inhabitants, and 2,001 acres of land, in the occupation of Mr. John Palmer, and belonging to Sir R. J. Buxton Bart., the lord of the manor, and patron of the Church, which is dedicated to St. Andrew, and is a rectory, valued in the Kings' [sic] book at £5. 12s. 6d. and in 1831 at £200. consolidated with Rushford, and enjoyed by the Rev. Fredk. D. Panter, M.A. The church is of Norman origin, as may be seen from its southern entrance ; but it and the parsonage were wholly consumed by fire on the 18th May, 1693, and remained in that state 159 years, when it was partially rebuilt. It was completely restored by Elizabeth Lady Buxton, in 1852, when the nave and chancel were rebuilt, and the transepts and a small vestry added. The upper portion of the tower was repaired, and five bells placed therein at the expense of Miss Isabella Buxton, who also beautified the east window with stained glass, and placed illuminated texts over the doors and windows. The interior is neatly fitted up with open seats of solid oak, all free, and the font, pulpit, and reredos are of Caen stone.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2001; links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Brettenham & Kilverstone Parish Council
Brettenham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Brettenham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page