BRIDGHAM is a parish and village situated in the vale of the river Thet, 2 miles south from Harling Road station, and 6 east from Thetford, in the Southern division of the county, Shropham hundred, Guiltcross union, Attleborough county court district, rural deanery of Rockland, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary is large and well built, and has been re-roofed, partly in slate in the Early English style, and consists of chancel and nave and a fine northern Norman porch. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory, yearly value £371, with 15 acres of glebae and residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor and held since 1876 by the Rev. Frederick Throne B.D of St. Alban Hall, Oxford. There is a small Wesleyan chapel. Risley's and Gawdy's charities of about £15 yearly are distributed in clothing. Sir Robert Jacob Buxton bart. M.P., D.L. who is lord of the manor, Lionel Creasy and Arthur Cockell esqrs. are the principal landowners. The soil is sandy, subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. In 1881 the parish contained 274 inhabitants, chiefly employed in husbandry, and comprises 2,152A. 0R. 10P. of fertile land; rateable value £2,496.
POST OFFICE. Mrs. Maria Elizabeth Cooper, receiver. Letters from Thetford, viâ East Harling, arrive at 7 a.m.; dispatched at 6.15 p.m. The nearest money order office is at East Harling.
A School Board of 7 members was formed in 1876 for the united district of Bridgham, Larling & Roudham; L. Lane, Kenninghall, clerk to the board.
Board School, built for 70 children,, average attendance 52; Miss Harriet Hall, mistress.
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 1999; links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1863 and 1883 [all GENUKI-NFK]
Bridgham Church [Local web-site]
Bridgham postmill and postmill house; Town watermill and Bridgham West watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Bridgham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Bridgham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page