1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Briningham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Bringingham smock-mill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Briningham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Briningham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 257.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

BRININGHAM is a parish 9 miles north-east from Fakenham, 7 north-east from Ryburgh, 1 mile from Melton Constable station, 4 south-west from Holt, and 14 from Cromer, in the Northern division of the county, Holt hundred. Walsingham union and county court district, rural deanery of Holt, archdeaconry of Norwich, and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Maurice is in the Later English and Decorated styles, havning chancel, nave and square tower at the south-east end of the nave with 1 bell; the entrance is through the tower. There is a small organ. The living is a vicarage, yearly value 105, with residence and one acre of glebe, in the gift of the Rev. Shovell Brereton M.A. of Queen's College, Cambridge, who is also lay improprietor; impropriate tithe commutation, 353: the Rev. Theodore Budd, of St. Bees, has been vicar since 1883. On the south side of the parish is a fine tower, called Belle Vue, belonging to Lord Hastings, and commanding extensive views. Constance Marchioness of Lothian and Lord Hastings, who hold the manors, and the Rev. Shovell Brereton M.A. have estates in the parish. The soil is mixed loam; subsoil, partly shingle. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley and grass. The area is 1,201 acres; rateable value, 2,173; and the population in 1881 was 255.

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, October 2008; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Briningham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Bringingham smock-mill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Briningham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page