[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, March 2001]
BRISLEY is a scattered village on the Fakenham road, 6 miles N.N.W. of East Dereham, containing in its parish 93 houses, 364 souls, and 1,200 acres of land, the principal owners of which are Lord Sondes, J. D. H. Hill, Esq., Mr. F. Frohawk, Mr. B. Butler, Mrs. Branford, and Mrs. Garwood ; the two former are joint lords of the manor. Brisley Green is an open common of 170a. The Church, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, is a spacious edifice, with a tower and four bells, and the living is a rectory, valued in the King's book at £8 7s. 8d., with the vicarage of Gateley annexed to it, in the patronage of Christ College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. Jno. Smith, B.D., who has 21a. of glebe. The tithes of Brisley are commuted for £289 ; the vicarial tithes of Gateley for £142, and the rectorial for £203, belong to Christ College. Brisley Hall, an ancient residence, is nearly encompassed by a deep moat. Rd. Taverner, a native of Brisley, to promote the Reformation, published a new translation of the Bible in 1539. A National school was built in 1844. The Town Land, 4a., is let for £12 a year, and applied with the poor rates.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, March 2001; links updated January 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Mitford & Launditch union
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Brisley postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Brisley [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page