Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Clavering hundred
Loddon & Clavering Union
Norwich county court
Kelly's 1883
Mill Lane postmill and High Green postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Brooke Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Brooke [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]

Norfolk - Brooke

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, p. 340-341

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, May 2003.]

BROOKE, a populous and well-built village, and one of the detached parishes of the Clavering hundred, 6½ miles S.S.E. of Norwich, contains 168 houses, 802 inhabitants, and 2,049 acres of land, belonging to many proprietors. The Rev. John Holmes is lord of the manor, and impropriator of the great tithes, and resides at Brooke-hall, a handsome cemented mansion in the Grecian style, erected by the present occupant, in 1830, near the site of the Old hall. Brooke-House is a good residence, the seat of George Samuel Kett, Esq. The celebrated physician, Sir Astley Cooper, Bart., was born in this parish. The abbots of Bury St. Edmunds, who formerly held this manor, obtained the grant of a market and fair, to be held at Brooke ; but both have long been obsolete. The church dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient structure, with a round tower, was completely restored in 1849, at an expense of upwards of £1,200 raised by voluntary contributions. The font is of curious and elaborate workmanship. The living is a vicarage, valued in the King's book at £5, in the gift of the crown ; and enjoyed by the Rev. Wm. Beal, D.D., F.S.A. The vicarage-house, a good residence, was enlarged and improved by the present incumbent, in 1849. The vicarial tithes were commuted in 1842 for £240 10s., and there are 4a. 1r. 16p. of glebe land. A Baptist chapel was built here in 1839. There are efficient parochial schools here, maintained at an expense of upwards of £100 a year—besides the children's pence. Of this sum the Rev. John Holmes contributes £25 per annum. The Town Lands consist of 42a. 3r. 2p., producing a rental of £67 10s. a year. Pever's Farm, in Kirstead, let for £86 a year, has, from the year 1692, been applied to the purposes of the church—thus obviating the necessity of church rates. The poor have 20s. a year left by J. Kerrison ; 40s. a year by John Fowle ; the interest of £20, the produce of the sale of a house left by Wm. Brereton ; and the rent of the Fuel allotment (5a.) now amounting to £14 yearly. These charities are distributed among the poor by the vicar and churchwardens. There is an endowmnent for the organ in the church of £10 10s. a year. Post Office at R. F. Yallop's. Letters arrive at 8 a.m., and are despatched at 5 p.m.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, May 2003; links updated April 2010.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Clavering hundred
Loddon & Clavering Union
Norwich county court
Kelly's 1883
Mill Lane postmill and High Green postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Brooke Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Subsidy Taxes 1597 [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Brooke [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]