BROME (or BROOME) is a parish and widely-scattered village 2 miles north-east from Bungay, and 14 south from Norwich, in the Southern division of the county, Loddon hundred, Loddon and Clavering union, Bungay and Beccles county court district, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. Brome church is about 1¼ miles north-west from Ellingham station and about 1¾ miles north-west from Ditchingham station. The church of St. Michael is an old building of flint and rubble, in the Early Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave and square embattled tower containing 5 bells, and was thoroughly repaired, re-seated and the chancel rebuilt in 1866 and 1867; it contains the old thatched roof, except the chancel which is tiled. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a rectory, yearly value tithe rent charge £280, with residence and 28 acres of glebe, in the gift of Admiral Sir G. N. Broke Middleton bart. and held since 1879 by the Rev. John George Brighton M.D. The Town Lands and Fuel Allotment charities consist of about 24 acres of land, £120 12s. 5d. £3 per cent. Consols and fuel allotment of about 15 acres, producing about £104 yearly: by an order of the Charity Commissioners, dated 21st June 1878, it was ordered that the charities be vested in trustees and hereafter mentioned as one charity, under the designation of "Brome Parochial Trust," and after payment out of the income of £3 3s. a year to a clerk, it be divided as follows: One-fourth for repairs to bridge and other parochial objects; one-fourth for repair and other uses of the parish church; one-fourth towards education; and one-fourth for general purposes of poor. Brome Place, at present unoccupied, is a handsome mansion, situated on rising ground, with a good prospect. Admiral Sir George Nathaniel Broke-Middleton bart.. of Shrubland Park, Suffolk, is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is light and gravelly; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are barley, wheat and turnips. The area is 1,412 acres; rateable value, £2,542; and the population in 1881 was 514.
Letters by foot post through Bungay, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office. WALL LETTER BOX (near the Artichoke inn), cleared at 4.50 p.m. weekdays only.
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1874; E. Cadge, Loddon, clerk to the board
Board School, erected in 1875, at a cost of about £1,000, for 85 children, average attendance 75; Frederick Crow, master; Miss Eliza Crow, infants' mistress
1891 Census Names Index
1841 Census [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Broome Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Broome postmill, towermill and Wainford watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Broome [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page