[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]
BRUNDALL is a village and parish, and station on the Norwich and Yarmouth line of the Great Eastern railway, 119½ miles from London, 6½ east from Norwich and 14 from Yarmouth in the South-Eastern division of the county, Blofield hundred and union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Blofield and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The village is situate on a considerable eminence north of the river Yare, and afford fine views. The church of St. Lawrence is a small stone building, consisting of nave, with bell turret: there is a curious lead font supposed to be about 600 years old. The register dates from the year 1563. The living is a rectory, consolidated with that of Witton, joint yearly value £500 and house, in the gift of and held since 1854 by the Rev. James Spurgeon Green M.A. of Christ's College, Cambridge. Brundall House is the seat of Edward William Trafford esq. J.P. Wm. J. O. Holmes esq. is lord of the manor: the chief landowners are Mr. Fleming Hewett, Dr. Beverley and Charles Waters esq. The soilis mixed; subsoil, sand. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and hay. The area is 544 acres; rateable value, £1,242; and the population in 1881 was 54.
Letters through Norwich, viâ Blofield, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
This place is included in the United School Board district of Strumpshaw
Railway Station, Charles Howard Smith, station master
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Brundall Archeology ]Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Brundall [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish information for Brundall [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page