1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Inn in Buckenham [Norfolk Pubs Index]
Buckenham Ferry drainage mill [Jonathan Neville]
Buckenham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Buckenham [GENUKI-NFK}
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Buckenham Ferry

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 260.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C.("Paddy") Apling]

BUCKENHAM FERRY is a parish and village, and station on the Norwich and Yarmouth railway, 121 miles from London, 8 east from Norwich and 1 west from Yarmouth in the South-Eastern division of the county, Blofield hundred and union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Blofield and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. There is a ferry over the river Yare to Carleton St. Peter. The church of St. Nicholas is an ancient structure of flint with stone dressings, in the Norman style, consisting of chancel and nave, with an octagonal tower: the font having been cleansed exhibits various emblematical figures which were nearly obscured: the eastern window represents St. Nicholas and the Four Evangelists: the church underwent extensive repairs and improvements, at the expense and under the supervision of a previous rector, the Rev. Thomas H. P. Beauchamp, who held the living for forty years. The register dates from the year 1760. The living is a rectory, with that of Hassingham St. Mary, joint yearly value 239, with residence and 26 acres of glebe, in the gift of Sir Reginald Proctor-Beauchamp bart. and held since 1871 by the Rev. George Elwin B.A. of Corpus Christi College, Oxford. Buckenham common is let for about 8 a year, which is distributed among the poorer households. The knightly family of Godsalve were lords of the manor till after the reign of Hnry VIII. and their arms may still be seen in the carved wainscot of the old Hall, which is now let as cottages. Sir Reginald Prctor-Beauchamp bart. owns all the land, with the exception of the glebe, and is lord of the manor. The soil is mixed; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats; the marshes are used for grazing, and constitute about one-half of the parish. The area is 931 acres; rateable value, 1,560; and the population in 1881 was 113.



Letters through Norwich. The nearest money order is at Burlingham & telegraph office at Blofield

Railway Station, William Chester, station master

Transcription © Copyright E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, August 2007; links updated February 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Inn in Buckenham [Norfolk Pubs Index]
Buckenham Ferry drainage mill [Jonathan Neville]
Buckenham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Buckenham [GENUKI-NFK}
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page