BUCKENHAM (NEW) is a neat town with a large market place, 5 miles S. by E. of Attleborough, and 15½ miles S.W. of Norwich, its parish comprising 188 houses, 766 souls, and 315 acres of land, in the manor of Old Buckenham, and separated from that parish by W. de Albini, when he built the new castle. The soil is held by several proprietors, but about 80a. form a common, on which occupiers have pasturage. The Market formerly held here is obsolete ; but fairs for cattle, &c., are held on the last Thursday in May, and Nov. 22nd. The Church, dedicated to St. Martin, is a handsome edifice, with a square tower and six bells, and contains several memorials to the Knyvets, and other families. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the parishioners, and incumbency of the Rev. Thos. Wm. Thompson, M.A. It was endowed in 1816 with £1,000, parliamentary grant, and valued in 1831 at £116. The parishioners pay a rate of 3¼d. in the pound on the rental to the minister, who for the time being is lord of the manor, one of whom claimed to be cup bearer at the coronation. A National school was built in 1849. The Wesleyans have a chapel here. The George, Public House, now let for £30, was left by William Juby, in 1646, one half of the rent for the incumbent, and the other for the schoolmaster. In 1692, Wm. Barber left a house and 13a. 2r. 16p. of land, now let for £34, for the benefit of the minister. He also founded an almshouse for four poor persons, and endowed it with 18a. 3r. 8p. of land, let for £35 a year. Six poor women now occupy the almshouse. The Town Lands, 4½a., let for £20, is applied with the poor rates; 6a., let for £16, in the service of the church ; and 5½a., let for £10, expended in repairing the pumps and market cross, &c.
Post Office at Mr. John Wallis's: letters arrive at 8.30 a.m., and are despatched at 6 p.m.
Andrews Thos. watchmkr
Battersby Jno. bricklayer
Betts Edw. W. cattle dlr
Bexfield Jph. horse breaker
Browne Jno. basket mkr.
Browne Wm. schoolmstr. & registrar of b. and d
Buddery Lydia, clothes dlr
Cattermole Jno. gardener
Cary Wm. sen. & jun. cattle dlrs
Clowes Edw.Norris,solr.mgsts.clk.& agt. to Farmers & Genl. Ins. Co.
Davy Danl. cooper & basket mkr
England Thos. brazier, &c
Gall Mr. Jno
Gaymer Jno. fruit dlr
Haslam Rev. Thos. (Wesleyan)
Holl Lewis, vet. surgeon
Howard Horace, & H. F. surgeons
Humphreys Emma, National schl
Manning Wm. chemist & drggst
Palmer Fras. miller
Palmer Hy. N. Esq.
Rayson Wm. stone mason & tallow chandler
Smith Robt. beerhouse
Stebbings Thos. plumber, &c
Thompson Rev. Thos. Wm. M.A. incumbent
Wallis Jno. ironmonger
Wallis Johnson, brazier & smith
Wilson Danl. glover and hairdrssr