Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Shropham hundred
Guiltcross union
Kelly's 1883
Old Buckenham 17th century postmill, Dam Brigg postmill, Fen Street postmill, Mill Farm postmill,
       Panegryde postmill, Ringerhose postmill and Wilby Warren postmill and Old Buckenham towermill [Jonathan Neville]
USAF Old Buckenham, 1943-1945
Local web-site
Old Buckenham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Old Buckenham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
and see New Buckenham

Norfolk - Old Buckenham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 282-283.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

OLD BUCKENHAM is a village and parish, leasantly situated, 3 miles north-east from Eccles road station and 3 south-by-east from Attleborough station, in the Southern division of the county, Shropham hundred, Guiltcross union, Attleborough county court district, rural deanery of Rockland, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich: a common, or green, of about 4 acres forms the centre of this village. The church of All Saints is a plain and ancient thatched structure of flint with stone dressings in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, north aisle separated from the nave by an arcade of 4 arches, and octagonal tower containing 6 bells: the east window is stained. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a vicarage, yearly value 100, in the presentation of feoffees and held since 1850 by the Rev. Thomas Fulcher M.A. of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge. The Baptists have a chapel which was rebuilt and enlarged in 1857, and further improved in 1883 and also the Primitive Methodists: also the sect called Sandemanians. Robert Cox esq. founded, in 1860, ten almshouses for married and single poor born in this parish; each inhabitant receives 5s. weekly and one ton of coal yearly. There are charities of 76 yearly, for clothing and coal, and a fuel allotment of 70 acres, producing 30. A line of embankmemts, commonly called "Bunn's Bank," evidently the work of the Romans when this was one of the minor military stations, has been discovered running through a farm here. Here was a castle, built by William de Albini in the time of William the Norman, of which some ruins remain. William de Albini the younger founded a priory for Augustine Canons in 1085. The Lodge, the residence of Francis John Gurney esq. is a modern building, the lawn and gardens are pleasantly laid out and well kept, the park is small, with fine plantations. The Grange is the residence of Major William George Keppel. Mrs. Taylor is lady of the manor. The principal landowners are Sir W. Bowyer-Smijth bart. Messrs. Richard and William Bird, F. J. Gurney esq. and Messrs. J. and J. Colman. The soil is strong loam; subsoil, clay and gravel. The area is 5.986 acres; rateable value, 7,566 10s.; and the population in 1881 was 1,146.


POST OFFICE.—Miss Elizabeth Potter, receiver. Letters from Attleborough are received at 3.45 a.m. & dispatched at 7.30 p.m.; sunday 11 a.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at New Buckenham

SCHOOLS:—
         Here is an endowment of 25 for the school for poor boys& girls;
         also an infant school, supported by private contributions
         the schools will hold 200 children; average attendance 137

National School, Edwin Henry Reade, master; Mrs. Reade, infants' mistress

CARRIER TO NORWICH.—David Sparrow, saturday
 

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, February 2011; links updated June 2011.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Shropham hundred
Guiltcross union
Kelly's 1883
Old Buckenham 17th century postmill, Dam Brigg postmill, Fen Street postmill, Mill Farm postmill,
       Panegryde postmill, Ringerhose postmill and Wilby Warren postmill and Old Buckenham towermill [Jonathan Neville]
USAF Old Buckenham, 1943-1945
Local web-site
Old Buckenham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Old Buckenham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
and see New Buckenham