Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Shropham hundred
Guiltcross union
Kelly's 1883
Old Buckenham 17th century postmill, Dam Brigg postmill, Fen Street postmill, Mill Farm postmill,
       Panegryde postmill, Ringerhose postmill and Wilby Warren postmill and Old Buckenham towermill [Jonathan Neville]
USAF Old Buckenham, 1943-1945
Local web-site
Old Buckenham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Old Buckenham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
and see New Buckenham

Norfolk - Old Buckenham

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, pp. 826-827

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2001]

BUCKENHAM (OLD) is a considerable village of dispersed houses, skirting a pleasant green of about 40a., distant 3 miles S. by E. of Attleborough. Its parish comprises 299 houses, 1,401 inhabitants, and 5,816 acres of land, chiefly belonging to the Earl of Albermarle, R. Reeve, Esq., Hy. N. Palmer, Esq., and Messrs. Burlinghams. Lady Herbert is lady of the manor. William the Conqueror gave the fee of this place to Wm. de Albini, " whose son was called ' Wm. with the strong hand,' from his having, (as the legends of chivalry relate), killed a lion by thrusting his arm down its throat, after having been thrown into its den by the Queen of France, who was enraged by his refusing the offer of her hand, he being previously affianced to the widow of Henry I. whom he subsequently married." His father, disliking the old Saxon castle here, erected a new CASTLE upon the hill a little farther to the East. This fortress consisted of a keep, two circular towers, a grand entrance tower, barbican, and embattled walls surrounded by a moat : but nothing now remains except a few fragmentary ruins. The second Wm. de Albini founded a PRIORY here in 1058, for Augustine canons, but no traces of it are now to be seen. The CHURCH, dedicated to All Saints, is a venerable thatched edifice with an octagonal tower, and five bells. The benefice is a perpetual curacy, certified at £17, and valued in 1831 at £103. In 1769 it was augmented with £800 parliamentary grant, and £200 given by W. Holbeck in 1768. The patronage is vested in the ratepayers, and the Rev. Thos. Fulcher, B.A., is the incumbent. The Baptists, Primitive Methodists, and Sandemanians, have each a chapel here. Mr. Sturdivant, in 1604, left £100 for schooling poor children, which was laid out in 16a. 15p. of land, now let for £28, which is paid for instructing 10 boys and 10 girls. The poor have the following yearly gifts: £9 8s. 6d. from 5a. 1r. 10p. of land left by Robt. Laughter in 1622 ; about £5 8s. from 4a. 6p. left by Andrew Reeder, in 1565 ; and £2 10s. as the interest of £50 left by Hugh Harvey. The Town Land, 26a. 1r. 9p., is let for £30 a year, of which about one-fourth is carried to the poor rates, and the rest to the church rates. The Fuel Allotment, 80a., is partly used for cutting turf, and the herbage is let for £36 a year.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2001; links updated February 2011.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Shropham hundred
Guiltcross union
Kelly's 1883
Old Buckenham 17th century postmill, Dam Brigg postmill, Fen Street postmill, Mill Farm postmill,
       Panegryde postmill, Ringerhose postmill and Wilby Warren postmill and Old Buckenham towermill [Jonathan Neville]
USAF Old Buckenham, 1943-1945
Local web-site
Old Buckenham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Old Buckenham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
and see New Buckenham