BUCKENHAM TOFTS (or BUCKENHAM PARVA) is a small parish situated on the river Wissey, 6 miles north-east from Brandon railway station, in the Western division of the county, Grimshoe hundred, Swaffham union, Swaffham county court district, Cranwich rural deanery, Norfolk arch-deaconry and diocese of Norwich. There is no church in this parish: the inhabitants attend the churches of West Tofts, Ickborough and Langford. The living is a rectory, a gift of W. Amhurst Tyssen Amherst esq. M.P., J.P., but no clergyman is appointed to it. Buckenham Hall is a large and commodious residence, seated in an extensive park of 187 acres in extent, through which flows the river Wissey, and is now (1882) unoccupied. W. Amhurst Tyssen Amherst esq. M.P., J.P. is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is light loam; the subsoil is chalk and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 651A. 1R. 11P.; rateable value, £369; the population in 1881 was 49.
WALL LETTER BOX cleared at 7 p.m. Letters through Mundford Railway Station Sub-Office, which is the nearest money order office; letters should have R.S.O. Norfolk added.
Note: The whole of the parish, has, since 1942, been incorporated in the Stanford Military Training Area, from which the public is normally excluded.
© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, January 1999; links updated January 2011.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Stanford (& Buckenham Tofts) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Buckenham Tofts watermill [Jonathan Neville]
and see The story of the evacuation
More on Buckenham Tofts [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page