[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, November 2000]
BUCKENHAM TOFTS, or Buckenham Parva, is a parish, 8 miles N. by W. of Thetford, with 11 houses, 54 souls, and 552 acres of land, the property of the Right Hon. Francis Baring, lord of the manor, who resides at the Hall, a large handsome mansion, with an extensive park on both sides of the river Wissey. The Church, dedicated to St. Andrew, was desecrated many years ago; and the rectory, valued in the King's book at £3, is a sinecure belonging to the Rev. T. Newman. The ruins were cleared away about 30 years ago, and the churchyard now forms part of the pleasure grounds near the hall.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, November 2000; links updated January 2011.
1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1883 and 1925
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Stanford (& Buckenham Tofts) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Buckenham Tofts watermill [Jonathan Neville]
and see The story of the evacuation
More on Buckenham Tofts [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page